7 Pages are shown on the Main Page.

7 pages are shown on the Main Page. To see additional posts, click on the link "Older Posts" at the bottom of the main page. For videos go to https://www.youtube.com/@normanretzke4377/videos click "skip" to avoid ads


G has a "swell" time kayaking

G has a "swell" time kayaking
G has a "swell" time on Lake Michigan in an inflatable canoe

Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico

Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico
Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico

Warren Dunes Sunset

Warren Dunes Sunset
Warren Dunes Sunset

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Prequel

Bookmark and Share

I've been exploring the possibilities of  roadtrekking for about 5 years. I looked at the possibilities of a truck camper, a class C, class B and even larger vehicles. I have extensive ground camping experience, but no roadtrekking experience. My prior trips were via automobile and we decided we wanted to travel in comfort and enjoy the US.

I was not looking for a permanent shelter. I was looking for a way to explore the US while maintaining a permanent abode somewhere else. In other words, a 3 season or 3-1/2 season camper. As a part of this long term plan, we purchased a condominium in 2001/2002 which permits us to trek for months on end, should we decide to do so. Our association also permits rentals, so if we should decide to "move on" we can rent our unit. Or, of course, we can sell it.  For now, our preference is to use this as a "base" for our travels.

For the past 10 years. we have limited our travel to one or two weeks per year. This is because of practical limitations. Cost and time are fininte if one is to live within their means. So we work most of the time and I have other duties and responsibilities. However, it won't always be this way.

Dipping Our Toes in the Water

In 2013 we decided to try a class B. We rented a Sprinter based unit from Campervan North America.  I'll provide more info on that trek in a coming post. For now, let's simply say that our experience was extremely positive. The campervan we rented was a Mercedes with bluetec diesel, all electric coach setup including solar panels. We spent a week in Utah touring Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches and Canyonlands national parks. This trek was a "proof of concept" venture. We were extremely impressed with the Mercedes Sprinter vehicle that the people at Campervan North America provided us. It exceeded all expectations. We also gained valuable insights into what would work, what our minimum requirements were, and so on.

We were able to travel on the highways at the legal speeds including 80MPH. We achieved about 19.5 MPH for the entire trip, which exceeded 1000 miles.  The spouse and I drove the vehicle.

We drove easily into the various national parks, parked where we wanted to and did everything with no restrictions because of vehicle dimensions.

We wanted to avoid limitations. Limitations imposed by vehicle dimensions or amenities. We achieved that.

My Travel Background

Most of my extended travel has been business related. I took my first business trip, a week long trek to Westinghouse in Newark, NJ in 1967.  A few years later I changed employment and joined a design and build firm here in Chicago. That firm designed industrial plants, and had a construction division. As a young engineer I was interested in field work. The firm needed electrical and automation engineers who were willing to oversee final construction and actively participate in these complex facilities. In a short time I was tapped to wear two hats. One as an electrical engineer and the second as a "field electrical engineer." As such, I soon traveled to Festus, MO and then to Hagerstown MD, Miami FL, Oglesby IL, Mitchell IN,  Louisville NE, Mason City IA and so on.

The trips were all business. I usually lived in a motel for a few weeks, or as long as 11 months. There was usually no time for sight seeing. Besides, weather was frequently inclement. Construction continued even if the low was 25F with 65F below zero wind chills. Commissioning and startup occurred as soon as the production facility was ready. Hours were long, typically 10 to 16 hours per day, and we worked 7 days a week. In one bi-monthly period I recall working 162 hours.

So I traveled near some wonderful sights, but generally didn't partake of them. As soon as the project was completed I was eager to return "home" and re-establish my other life. I was single at the time and so I had no spouse who was waiting for me.

In 1978 I started my first firm, an automation systems house. The goal was to service heavy industrials. By that time I was married and soon had two children. So I found myself taking normal vacations but continued to travel to these industrial facilities scattered throughout the US. Work included cement, lime, gypsum, steel, petrochemical, power generation and similar facilities. Travel was intermittent and as dictated by client needs. The microprocessor had recently been invented and with it a complete change in how process control was accomplished. Travel continued to be mostly business.

Outdoor Camping
With two children came the responsibility and opportunity  to actively participate in their growth and development. Their mother thought that cub scouts would be a fine opportunity for them and so she participated as a den mother and I became involved on the committee level.

However, this changed when a scout professional approached the group and suggested we take advantage of a three or four day camping experience at the nearby Hoover Center. I though it would be a great idea. The problem was lack of adult participation. The BSA had requirements for adult participation, too. This so we could manage the boys. I had never camped, except some overnights in the back yard as a child with a blanket tossed over a rope to make a tent!

So, I said "why not?" It was an interesting experience. I liked the outdoors; most of the industrial facilities I had spent time at were beyond large metro areas. One was in the Florida Everglades. I had become familiar with wildlife and insects didn't really bother me. We worked no matter what the weather; rain, sleet, snow and oppressive heat. So, this mild camping experience in tents and sleeping on a cot was a straightforward experience.

The children went on the become boy scouts and I followed them for a time, driving, accompanying them on campouts and helping the troop. In a short time I became more involved and became an assistant scoutmaster. Eventually I became scoutmaster. We had monthly weekend campouts which included camping, hiking and canoeing. The troop attended a week long summer camp each year. We also had a "high adventure" outing each year. Philmont and Quetico were on the agenda. I attended roundtables, various trainings and succeeded at the Woodbadge training and continued to learn. I eventually  became a roundtable leader. Yes, I had the camping bug!

My Spouse Prefers an Abode With a Door

In recent years I  have had the opportunity to do more scenic travel. The spouse and I have taken some of the relatives on very long driving tours of national parks, Door County WI, etc.

She is not averse to camping, but we like to joke that she prefers the sign "Holiday Inn" over the door. So using an RV or campervan was a natural evolution and a straightforward solution.

For the past 5-10 years I've done more than a little research on all sorts of vehicles for camping or touring. These ranged from large Class A and "Offroad" adventure trucks to truck campers, Class B &C and even smaller campers. There have been lengthy discussions between the spouse and I about what might work, our capabilities, and what we would do with such a vehicle if we had ready access to one.

Finally, in 2013 we rented one to see what the experience would be. So the adventure continues.

Comment:
Roadtrek is the manufacturer of a series of Class B campers. The name of this blog is a nod to their vehicles, but it will take a few posts to explain. There is no attempt to infringe on their company, and "roadtrekking" is a popular expression for doing what my spouse and I are doing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting. Most RV or Camper Van blogs don't provide the vehicle details. Looked like a nice trip!