7 Pages are shown on the Main Page.

7 pages are shown on the Main Page. To see additional posts, click on the link "Older Posts" at the bottom of the main page. For videos go to https://www.youtube.com/@normanretzke4377/videos click "skip" to avoid ads


G has a "swell" time kayaking

G has a "swell" time kayaking
G has a "swell" time on Lake Michigan in an inflatable canoe

Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico

Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico
Dawn on the Gulf of Mexico

Warren Dunes Sunset

Warren Dunes Sunset
Warren Dunes Sunset

Thursday, April 16, 2015

RV BBQ - Hmmm, Hmmm!


Bookmark and Share





My camper van came equipped with two methods of cooking:
  1. Stovetop burners (propane)
  2. Microwave-Convection oven.
I added the following:
  1. Portable induction (electric) cooktop
  2. Propane BBQ
Portable Gas Grills
We use two. The Weber is used at home and the Coleman is used on the road. The Weber is taller and that has some advantages; we can cook more in the Weber. However, the Coleman is smaller in height and because space is a premium in a class B, we currently take it with us on our treks. 
  1. Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill
  2. Coleman Fold-n-Go propane grill
Some history
I've been cooking and barbecuing for years. My parents purchased a large Weber grill and rotisserie in the 1950s. We were the first on the block and the eldest children were given the chore of keeping that Weber clean.. My father taught me to cook outdoors. My mother did the same indoors; I was the eldest son and my twin sister and I were the responsible ones. To provide my mother with a break on the weekends, I became the short order cook for Sunday breakfast. I cooked pancakes, sausages, bacon and eggs to order for a family of eight. I began when I was 10 years old.

By the time of the Weber, we ate Sunday dinner outdoors each and every summer weekend. I cooked chicken, steak, chops, hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob and baked potatoes. Frequently in combination. I learned to cook steak to order, too. We never went to restaurants, as that was a luxury for our family and we had both the skill and motivation to cook well. I think I ate my first fast-food hamburger at a Henry's Hamburgers while in high school. They, by the way, were the first to open in Europe, but eventually were overcome by the McDonald's juggernaut.

My grandmother was an excellent baker. As a young adult I recall visiting her and she said "Normie, I think I'll bake a pie" and so she went to the apple tree and had me take down a dozen apples. These we cleaned and she proceeded to make a delicious pie. She didn't measure anything; simply a few handfuls of flour, and a large spoonful of shortening. She put her fingers in water and added it to the dough. The filling was cut apples, a few shakes of cinnamon and sugar. She was an inspiration.

I taught my sons to cook. I also did so for a troop of Boy Scouts. My sons are accomplished at this and one could be a chef, if he so chose. However, being an engineer was his choice.

Previous all-electric RV experience
We previously rented an all-electric campervan which included an electric stovetop. However, I prefer gas cooking at home and so too for campervan cooking and hot water. We were also limited to how much electricity we could use in that all-electric RV. If on solar/batteries and the hot water heater came on while cooking the circuit breaker would trip. In other words, all electric vehicles when off the grid require some coordination of activities. I prefer either automatic load shedding or abundant energy availability.

The disadvantages of propane stovetops
Burning propane is a chemical process. The fuel unites with the oxygen in the air and the result is heat, carbon dioxide and water vapor.  If there is insufficient oxygen for proper combustion, a byproduct may be carbon monoxide gas, which is odorless, colorless and dangerous. 

Much of the heat is transferred to whatever is being cooked, The water vapor is released into the interior of the campervan or RV. This will raise the humidity. In warmer weather the combination of heat and humidity adds to discomfiture of the occupants. 

So, if one wants to avoid this and keep cool in summer, outdoor cooking is essential.

No comments: